Links & Fact Sheets
The following links may help you or someone you know to learn more about mental illness. Some are designed for people with a mental illness, some for their friends and family and others for general information to the community. To request a link to your website email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For a helpful guide to ‘Mental Health Terminology’ we would suggest you visit the Victorian State Government Mental Health Services Web site at: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/mentalhealth/termnlgy.htm
Mental Health Policy and Legislation
COAG (Council of Australian Governments) mental health plan 2006
Disabiliity Web Portal: The website (part of Australian Govt website) links to information and services on over 700 Australian Government websites as well as selected state and territory resources and searches government web pages.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Police – May 2010
NSW Local Health Districts
For more information visit: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/services/lhn/
Other mental health peak organisations in Australia
National mental health peak organisation: Mental Health Council of Australia (MHCA)
There is an NGO peak organisation like MHCC in all states and territories.
- Mental Health Coalition of South Australia
- VICSERV – Victorian peak
- Queensland Alliance
- Mental Health Community Coalition ACT
- Western Australian Association for Mental Health
- Northern Territory Mental Health Coalition. Ph: (08) 8948 2665
- Mental Health Council of Tasmania.
Other Links / Contacts
- Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS)
- Consumers Health Forum of Australia
- New York City Voices - A Consumer Journal for Mental Health Advocacy
- Disability Complaints Service
- Mental Health Advocacy Service
- Mental Illness Fellowship of South Australia (MIFSA)
- National Industry Association for Disability Services (ACROD)
- NSW Council of Social Service (NCOSS)
Mental Health Workforce Development and Learning:
- NSW Community Services & Health Industry Training Advisory Board
- NSW Department of Education & Training
- Community Services & Health Industry Skills Council
- Department of Education, Employment & Workplace Relations
Education / Training
- Nursing Schools / Nursing Colleges
- Institute of Psychiatry
- Illawarra Institute for Mental Health
- Hunter Institute for Mental Health
- Centre for Rural And Remote Mental Health
Mental Health Information
- Mental Health Association
- Multicultural Mental Health Australia (MMHA)
- Translated Mental Health Information Directory
- SANE Australia
- Searching for Help
- Beyond Blue
- Black Dog Institute
- Depression Center
- Dr Ivan's Depression Central
- Wing of Madness - A Depression Guide
- Young People - aicafmha
See also links under “Depression” above – Black Dog Institute, beyondblue
- MHCC & NADA Research Grants
- The Australian e-Journal for the Advancement of Mental Health (AeJAMH)
- Australian Institute of Family Studies
- Australian Rotary Health Research Fund
- Brain and Mind Research Institute (BMRI)
- Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health (CRRMH) conducts mental health research with rural and remote communities. The research focus is on: mental health and wellbeing of rural Australia; mental illness and health services and health outcomes for rural people with mental illness; and service development.
- Centre for Mental Health Research at the Australian National University (ANU) provides information on their current research.
- Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Aboriginal Health is a collaborative research organisation that brings together Aboriginal organisations, research institutions and government agencies to deliver health-related programs to Aboriginal people. One focus of the Centre is research into models of mental health service delivery for Aboriginal people.
- Illawarra Institute for Mental Health (iiMH) is a research unit within the Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences at the University of Wollongong.
- The Mental Health Research Institute of Victoria
- National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) conducts research and related activities that aim to increase the effectiveness of the Australian treatment response to drug problems
- Neuroscience Institute of Schizophrenia and Allied Disorders
- ORYGEN Research Centre (ORC) ORYGEN is a unique organisation made up of a specialist youth mental health service, a research centre and a range of education, training, advocacy and health promotion activities.
- Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research (QCMHR) The Centre conducts mental health research programs in: Genetics , Developmental Neurobiology , Epidemiology , Policy and Economics . Information about current research projects is available on their website.
- Register of Australian Drug and Alcohol Research (RADAR) contains up-to-date records of current and recently completed research projects with details of published research. There is also information about researchers, their organisations and research funding bodies.
- Two documents that provide useful information on research practice from the National Health and Medical Research Council are:
- Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research
- Joint NHMRC / AVCC Statement and Guidelines on Research Practice (1997)
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is US site The NIMH is the largest scientific organisation in the world dedicated to research focused on the understanding, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders and the promotion of mental health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/
- Evidence based program guides and Clinical Practice Guidelines
Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists – clinical practice guidelines
- Platform – peak for mental health NGOs in New Zealand